- YouTube couple Jake Paul and Tana Mongeau got married last weekend, and many have been speculating whether the wedding — and the relationship — is legitimate.
- Comments made on the most recent episode of Mongeau’s MTV reality show are adding to that speculation, including Mongeau’s mention that the marriage is "for fun and for content."
- Mongeau has since wrote on Twitter that her comments were "pulled out of context," and insists the relationship between her and Paul is true albeit "unconventional."
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
YouTuber Tana Mongeau is defending her marriage to fellow internet star Jake Paul as legitimate after recent comments she made about the wedding being "for fun and for content."
Mongeau and Paul — who have referred to themselves as "two of the internet’s biggest sociopaths" — got married this weekend in a Las Vegas wedding that cost $500,000 and included a "Game of Thrones" replica sword and a mid-ceremony brawl between guests.
The crazy antics of the wedding added fuel to a belief held by some fans and fellow YouTubers that the relationship between the two is all a big ploy to garner views and followers. Those rumors grew louder earlier this week when the most recent episode aired of Mongeau’s reality show, MTV’s "Tana Turns 21."
Mongeau says her Paul are on "an unspoken premise" that their marriage is "like a Kim Kardashian 72-day marriage," referring to the short stint when the reality TV star was married to basketball player Kris Humphries.
"I think we’re all trying to piece together the puzzles of what we actually want this engagement and ‘marriage’ to be," Mongeau tells the camera, motioning with her hands to put "marriage" in quotation marks. "I have a lot of love for him, but it’s still something fun and lighthearted that we’re obviously doing for fun and for content."
After a particular clip of Mongeau’s comments spread online this week, she took to Twitter to defend her marriage to Paul as legitimate. Mongeau tweeted that what she said was taken "out of context" in a longer sound bit that MTV shortened for their show.
Mongeau also touches on the fact that the events in the most recent MTV episode are from weeks ago, before Paul proposed to Mongeau at her 21st birthday party last month.
"i’m not trippin. i know that things have moved so fast, are unconventional, and confusing but i love jake. i truly do, in the weirdest f—ing way," Mongeau tweeted. "every second of this rollercoaster ride has been so fun & crazy. i hate that it’ll probably always come with owing people some explanation … but i know that’s kinda the life we signed up for."
The most episode of "Tana Turns 21" also revealed that Mongeau knew Paul would propose to her, and that the wedding was postponed two different times before set for this past weekend.
Interviews on the show with people in Mongeau’s inner circle, including her manager and roommate, don’t do anything to quell the rumors that Mongeau and Paul’s relationship is orchestrated and fabricated for views.
"If I thought Tana was actually going to legally marry Jake, I would obviously be freaking out," Mongeau’s roommate Ashly Shwan says on the MTV show. "I’m assuming that it’s not real. I don’t know what’s going on anymore. I don’t think [Tana] does either."
Additionally, celebrity magazine InTouch reported that there’s no record of Mongeau and Paul obtaining a marriage license in Nevada, where the two got married this past weekend. The person who officiated the wedding, convicted pimp Armani Izadi, reportedly doesn’t have a license to perform such ceremonies.
So even though Mongeau openly acknowledges that her and Paul are "internet trolls," it remains to be seen how their relationship holds up in the weeks until footage from the marriage hits Mongeau’s MTV show in the coming weeks.
- People are getting refunds after paying $50 to watch the ‘glitchy’ and ‘terrible’ livestream of wedding between YouTubers Tana Mongeau and Jake Paul
- How to upload a video to YouTube and customize its settings on desktop and mobile
- YouTubers Tana Mongeau and Jake Paul are getting married in Las Vegas this weekend, and MTV is filming it all. Here’s everything we know about the couple’s upcoming marriage