Business Insider/Jessica Tyler
- I visited my hometown’s brand new HomeGoods and a Bed Bath & Beyond to compare the two shopping experiences.
- The two homeware retailers differed in layout, pricing, and overall shopping experience.
- In the end, it was easy to see which store came out on top.
In October, my hometown of Davenport, Iowa, got its first HomeGoods.
The retailer is the sister store of TJ Maxx, and it offers a similar "treasure-hunt" shopping experience, stocking name-brand products that are generally marked down 20% to 60% below department-store prices.
There was a lot of hype before the HomeGoods’ grand opening in Davenport, so I decided to make a trip there to see what the buzz was about. After my trip down the aisles, I visited a nearby Bed Bath & Beyond to compare how the two homeware chains stacked up.
I found several key differences between the two stores, from how they organized the store to the price of their items. And in the end, one of them clearly provided the more rewarding shopping experience.
Here’s how HomeGoods and Bed Bath & Beyond stacked up.
Right off the bat, I was a big fan of HomeGoods. I mean, look at these crosswalk signs.
Right when you walk into the store you are greeted by two curated sections.
Both sections were decked out with patio supplies.
- More than 6,000 stores are closing in 2019 as the retail apocalypse drags on — here’s the full list
- Walmart is quietly closing stores — here’s the full list
- We visited Whole Foods after Amazon’s latest price cuts — and what we found should terrify Kroger