- The sneaker resale market is booming. Cowen & Co. estimates suggest it could be worth $6 billion globally by 2025.
- Sneakers become more valuable over time. The Nike SB What The Dunk cost $120 when it was released and is now worth $5,000 — an appreciation of 4,067%.
- Here are the 10 sneakers that have appreciated the most in value over time, according to Farfetch and Stadium Goods.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
For sneakers, sometimes older is better.
"I believe that sneakers are where automobiles were 20 years ago," Nadal told Business Insider, referring to his belief that they will ultimately appreciate in value.
Sneakers are definitely in their heyday. Sneaker resale marketplaces like StockX and Stadium Goods have sold some pairs for as much as $20,000. However, most sneakers don’t start out with such lofty prices.
The Nike SB What The Dunk was $120 at the time of its release. Now worth $5,000, these sneakers have appreciated in value more than any sneaker, growing at a rate of 4,067%.
Online retailer Farfetch and Stadium Goods shared the 10 sneakers that have had the greatest value appreciation on the resale market. Here are the top contenders:
10. Air Jordan 5 Retro T23 Tokyo
Retail price: $206
Current value: $5,250
Value increase: 2,449%
This Air Jordan 5 Retro T23 Tokyo was based on the iconic Air Jordan that was released in 1990. This unique pair was released in Japan in 2011 and features a Japanese character on the heel.
9. Louis Vuitton Kanye West x Louis Vuitton
Retail price: $1,140
Current value: $30,000
Value increase: 2,532%
This pink and grey sneaker is the most popular colorway for these high-tops from Kanye West and Louis Vuitton. This pair was named the overall most valuable sneaker on Farfetch’s sneaker list.
8. Nike Air Force 1 ’07 Off White – ComplexCon
Retail price: $150
Current value: $4,000
Value increase: 2,567%
This white sneaker was an iteration designed to celebrate the 35th anniversary of Nike’s Air Force 1. Off-White’s Virgil Abloh created these sneakers, which were released in 2017.
- These are the 10 best-selling sneakers of the year so far
- Here are the 10 most valuable sneakers on the global resale market, including a $30,000 pair of Kanye West Louis Vuittons
- These were the most iconic sneakers the year you were born, according to sneaker historians