- Fast food grew up with postwar America.
- As things have changed, so have the fast-food items that have been in vogue.
- From Taco Bell’s much-loved Enchirito to the invention of the legendary McNugget to the many lives of the Frappuccino, these are the fast-food items that people were obsessed with from the years 1965 to 2010.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Many of the first fast-food chains popped up in the 1950s and early 1960s. They started out small. The industry began with local mom-and-pop hamburger stands seeking to serve the increasingly on-the-go commuter American. As suburbs sprouted, so did drive-ins and drive-thrus.
Things have changed since those times. We’ve had rock ‘n’ roll, hippie folk, funk, power ballads, punk, grunge, and death metal. We’ve fought several wars in Asia and even more in the Middle East. And we’ve seen some of America’s most beloved and most bizarre fast-food items come and go.
From the world-changing invention of the Chicken McNugget to the many lives of the Frappuccino, these are the fast-food items that defined America from 1965 to 2010:
1965 — FILET-O-FISH SANDWICH, MCDONALD’S: Before the Filet-O-Fish, McDonald’s sold mostly hamburgers. Catholics don’t eat meat on Fridays during Lent, which was hurting sales for McDonald’s until franchise owner Lou Groen came up with the famous fish sandwich. It’s still on the McDonald’s menu today.
Source: Business Insider
1968 — PICKLE-O’S, SONIC: These deep-fried circles of briny joy faded off the Sonic menu at some point during the late 20th century before being reintroduced as a limited-time item in 2003. Some Sonic locations still have them.
Source:Christian Science Monitor
1970 — ENCHIRITO, TACO BELL: A burrito topped with cheese, red sauce, and three olives, this gooey chimera enraptured fans so much they found a way to keep it alive after it was discontinued. It’s now a secret menu item that some Taco Bells will even make for you — if you ask nicely.
Courtesy of Taco Bell
- I tried mac and cheese from 6 chains, and the winner blew away the competition
- 5 beloved brands that were brought back from the brink of death
- I tried Wendy’s iconic Spicy Chicken Nuggets for the first time to see why fans have been demanding their return — and they lived up to the hype