- Joker, the silent protagonist of "Persona 5," is the newest playable character in "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate."
- Joker fights with a knife and pistol, and can summon his persona Arsene to boost his attacks and turn the tide of battle.
- Like past guest characters, Joker arrives with his own stage, a wide selection of music from "Persona," and unique mechanics that reflect his original series.
- Joker can be purchased individually or with the "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" Fighters Pass.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
"Super Smash. Bros. Ultimate" welcomed Joker from "Persona 5" as its second downloadable character in the huge Ver. 3.0 update released on April 17th. Joker was first revealed at The Game Awards in December 2018 and joins the roster of "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" despite never being in a game released on a Nintendo console.
Joker’s addition speaks to the booming popularity of the "Persona" franchise, which has primarily been exclusive to the PlayStation. He arrives in "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" with a new stage, Mementos, taken from "Persona 5," and about 10 songs taken from "Persona 3," "Persona 4" and "Persona 5."
Like past guest characters like Cloud from "Final Fantasy 7" and Ryu from "Street Fighter," Joker introduces some brand new mechanics based on "Persona." Most importantly, he can summon his persona Arsene to enhance his attacks and give him new moves during the match.
Both Joker and his stage are paid downloadable content. Players can unlock both Joker and his stage as paid downloadable content. The Joker DLC costs $6 on its own but players can also purchase the $25 Fighters Pass to unlock Joker and four more incoming fighters. The pass represents $5 in savings, since all five characters would come to $30 individually.
Here’s everything you need to know about Joker, the newest downloadable character in "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate"
To unlock Joker, you’ll need to buy him from the Nintendo eShop for $6, or buy the "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" Fighters Pass for $25.
So exactly who is Joker?
Joker is the code name of the "Persona 5" protagonist. Because "Persona 5" players can name the character whatever they like, the Joker code name became an easy way for fans to reference him.
He begins "Persona 5" as a transfer student at Shujin Academy, but eventually becomes the leader of a group called the Phantom Thieves of Hearts. "Persona 5" takes players through the daily adventures of Phantom Thieves; the group combats injustice by changing the hearts of evil adults.
Joker can also choose to fight in his Shujin Academy uniform, if you prefer to smash with style.
- This samurai slasher for Nintendo Switch and PC lets players turn every stage into a bloody highlight reel
- A new, smaller, less expensive Nintendo Switch will reportedly arrive this fall
- ‘Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’ got a massive update on Wednesday — here’s everything that’s new