- Lil Nas X is one of the most popular musical artists in the world right now with the bonafide song of the summer, "Old Town Road."
- The 20-year-old artist rose to fame this year after his hit song first went viral on short-form video app TikTok, and has since set a record for the longest-running song at the No. 1 spot on Billboard Hot 100.
- Here’s everything you need to know about Lil Nas X, who most recently performed at a concert for Amazon employees and partied backstage with CEO Jeff Bezos.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Lil Nas X, 20, was born Montero Hill. He grew up outside of Atlanta in a poor household and, feeling alone, turned to the internet where he found memes and an avid following for a popular Nicki Minaj fan account (though his involvement is widely debated).
At 19, Lil Nas X decided to drop out of college in the summer of 2018 after just a year at a Georgia university. He crashed at his sister’s house while he pursued a music career and posted some songs on SoundCloud that got little traction.
Source: Rolling Stone
Then, right around Halloween this past year, Lil Nas X discovered a beat on YouTube from a 19-year-old Dutch producer named Young Kio. Lil Nas X bought the track for a mere $30 off of a music licensing website called BeatStars.
Lil Nas X/YouTube
- The Nintendo Switch is perfect for role-playing games, and this new game from the publishers of ‘Final Fantasy’ has sparked my passion for the classic genre
- The Apple Card isn’t just a credit card — it’s Apple’s secret weapon to sell more iPhones
- The Apple Card comes with 3 different credit card numbers — here’s what they all mean