Paige Leskin/Business Insider
- Instagram has updated its app so users are unable to see viewer lists on their Stories after 24 hours.
- Users have taken to Twitter to decry the update for no longer letting them see who is "stalking" them through Stories.
- Viewer lists are also now unavailable after 24 hours even on Highlights, the Stories that users can choose to permanently live on their profiles.
People are furious with Instagram’s latest update that hides the viewer lists for your Stories after 24 hours.
People on Instagram started to take notice of the change after the app’s latest update was made available Monday. Users have been taking to social media to express outrage that they can no longer "catch people Insta stalking," as one Twitter user put it.
Facebook-owned Instagram has for a while given users the ability to see what accounts have viewed their Stories, a feature that some have realized they can use to check if ex-partners or potential love interests are keeping tabs on them.
Stories are only available on Instagram profiles for a 24-hour window after they’re posted, but users have been able to preserve their Stories — and their respective viewer lists — with Instagram’s archive feature.
But these viewer lists are now unavailable on archived Stories, and are instead replaced with the message, "Viewer lists aren’t available after 24 hours."
This update has also hidden viewer lists for users’ Highlights, which are old Stories that people can choose to keep permanently on their profiles.
Instagram did not respond to Business Insider’s request for comment on the update.
Here are some of the best reactions from users on Twitter:
- The person behind Instagram’s World Record Egg has been revealed, and he’s using the most-liked photo to send an important message about mental health
- Instagram’s boss says it’s not doing enough to catch self-harm images before they are discovered by users
- Facebook and Twitter just took down hundreds of fake accounts from Iran and elsewhere that were trying to influence politics
Source: Business Insider