- Singer Joy Villa made a political statement while attending the 2019 Grammy Awards at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.
- The musician arrived on the red carpet wearing a brick-print dress inspired by Donald Trump’s "Build the Wall" slogan. It was designed by Desi Allinger of Desi Designs Couture.
- Speaking to INSIDER, Allinger said that she is "very proud" of her work, despite the backlash it has received from some viewers.
- The dress also featured a barbed wire-like structure attached to its straps, and had "Build the Wall" written in red on the back of its skirt.
- Villa accessorized with a "Make America Great Again" purse, spiked headband, and jewelry that was seemingly made from metal.
Singer Joy Villa turned heads when she arrived at the 2019 Grammy Awards wearing a dress inspired by Donald Trump. The white ball gown featured a brick print, and read "Build the Wall" on the back of its skirt.
Villa accessorized with a spiked headpiece, jewelry seemingly made from metal, and a purse that read "Make America Great Again." A barbed wire-like structure was also attached to each of the straps on her dress, and was wrapped around her back.
Desi Allinger of Desi Designs Couture created the controversial piece. But, despite criticism that some have sent her way, the designer told INSIDER that she’s proud of the work she created.
Allinger also said that she created the dress with Villa’s vision in mind.
"I am very proud of my work," Allinger told INSIDER. "I was able to create the vision my client wanted. It’s OK to not agree or like everyone’s work, but what is important is to respect people."
"DISCLAIMER: The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed by my clients are not necessarily the same as my views, thoughts, and opinions," Allinger wrote on Instagram. She continued to describe the dress as "a unique, one-of-a-kind piece of art" in her post.
Representatives for Joy Villa did not immediately reply to INSIDER’s request for comment.
- Read more:
- Miley Cyrus wore shoes with gold heels shaped like her initials on the Grammys red carpet, but you might have missed them
- The 34 wildest outfits celebrities have worn to the Grammy Awards over the years
- Miley Cyrus wore 3 ‘no shirt’ outfits at the Grammys and slayed them all
- Cardi B turned up to the Grammys in a pearl-adorned dress that made her look like she was emerging from a shell
- Members of Congress sang ‘Happy Birthday’ to a 81-year-old Holocaust survivor at the State of the Union
- Secretary of Energy Rick Perry stayed behind during Trump’s State of the Union speech — here’s how past ‘designated survivors’ spent their evenings under high security
- 8 key takeaways from Trump’s State of the Union address
Source: Business Insider