- iOS 13, the latest system update coming to Apple’s iPhones later this year, is packed with new features.
- Only a handful of these new features will actually change the way you use your iPhone.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
iOS 13 is upon us.
The latest major update to the iPhone operating system is expected to arrive this fall. The last few iterations of iOS have launched in September, usually preceding the annual launch of new iPhones, and iOS 13 should be no different.
Announced at WWDC 2019, iOS 13 adds a ton of new features and updates to existing apps, but we’re particularly looking forward to a handful of quality-of-life improvements that will really change the way we use our phones.
Here are the 9 most useful iOS 13 features we’re looking forward to.
Like iOS 12 before it, iOS 13 will upgrade the performance of your phone.
Hollis Johnson/Business Insider
Apple says Face ID unlocking will be 30% faster, app downloads will be 50% smaller, and app updates will be 60% smaller in iOS 13. Apps will also launch up to two times faster than before, thanks to an improved animation.
Apple is finally adding an optional system-wide Dark Mode, which will be perfect for night-time reading.
This is going to make a huge difference in all of your Apple apps: Music, Reminders, Mail, Photos, and more can all be affected by Apple’s system-wide Dark Mode, which is nice and easy on the eyes, and perfect for reading in the dark.
Notably, Apple also added Dark Mode tools for developers so it’s easy to implement the new mode in almost any new app that comes along.
The iPhone is about to get better editing tools — for both photos and videos.
Apple updated the editing controls to be more robust and intuitive. It still has automatic adjustments if you want them, but you can also dig into the settings to tweak sharpness, color, contrast, and even add filters.
But what’s truly new and notable here is that all of these new photo settings can finally be applied to videos for the first time. You can also rotate videos from portrait to landscape (!), and you can even warp the look of your videos or adjust their aspect ratio. This is going to make it way more satisfying to film and edit videos on an iPhone.
- These 5 phones made our list of the best smartphones in the world, and they all cost $500 or less
- How to find the serial number for any iPhone, even if you’ve lost the phone or it won’t turn on
- Your iPhone keeps a detailed list of every location you frequent — here’s how to delete your history and shut the feature off for good