Bill Pugliano / Stringer / Getty Images
- The gender pay gap is more pronounced in some jobs than others.
- Using data from the US Census Bureau, we found the 30 occupations with the biggest gap between median annual earnings for full-time, year-round female and male workers.
March 8 is International Women’s Day, and while a lot of progress has been made over the last several decades towards the goal of women’s equality in the US, there is still much work to be done.
It’s been well established that there is a gender pay gap between men and women. According to data from the US Census Bureau, the median full-time, year-round female worker earned 80.7% as much as the median full-time, year-round male worker in 2017.
While that gap persists across the overall economy, it is larger in some occupational fields than others.
Using data from the US Census Bureau’s 2017 American Community Survey, we compared median annual earnings for male and female full-time, year-round workers in the 527 occupational groups tracked in the survey. We found the 30 jobs with the biggest gap between male and female earnings by measuring median earnings for female workers as a percentage of median earnings for male workers.
Many of the occupations with large pay gaps are in traditionally male, blue-collar manufacturing fields. Those occupations continue to have predominantly male workforces.
Here are the 30 jobs with the biggest pay gaps between full-time, year-round male and female workers:
30. Multiple metal and plastic machine tool setters, operators, and tenders
The Library of Congress/Flickr
Median male wage: $50,027
Median female wage: $31,754
Number of male workers: 3,040
Number of female workers: 317
The median female worker in this occupation makes 63.5% of the median male worker’s wage.
29. Precision instrument and equipment repairers
Pure Grown Diamonds
Median male wage: $52,335
Median female wage: $32,876
Number of male workers: 44,172
Number of female workers: 5,205
The median female worker in this occupation makes 62.8% of the median male worker’s wage.
28. Entertainers and performers, and sports and related workers
JEFF CHRISTENSEN/AP Photos
Median male wage: $52,306
Median female wage: $32,278
Number of male workers: 10,236
Number of female workers: 6,850
The median female worker in this occupation makes 61.7% of the median male worker’s wage.
- The 30 highest-paying jobs in New York
- Walmart workers wish they could tell customers these 7 things
- Here is the lowest-paying job in every US state