Andrew F Kazmierski/iStock
- New York state is home to the financial and media capital of the United States.
- Using data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, we found the 30 occupations with the highest average salaries in the Empire State.
New York is the home state of the financial and media capital of the United States, and its high-flying jobs market matches its reputation.
Using data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Occupational Employment Statistics program, we found the 30 jobs with the highest average annual salaries in New York state as of May 2017, the most recently available data, among the 762 detailed occupational categories that BLS tracks for the state.
A bonus just for you: Click here to claim 30 days of access to Business Insider PRIME
Similarly to our recently published list of the highest-paying jobs in the US, medical occupations loom large. Seven of the top 10 highest-paying jobs in the state are various medical and dental specializations.
Here’s the full list, along with the jobs’ average annual salaries and the number of people employed in each job in New York State. Where available, we also include a brief description of what workers in the occupation do,from the Department of Labor’s O*NET Online occupational database.
Average annual salary: $145,180
Number of people employed in New York: 2,580
What they do, according to O*NET: Analyze statistical data to forecast risk and liability for future payments.
29. Natural sciences managers
Average annual salary: $151,370
Number of people employed in New York: 1,670
What they do, according to O*NET: Plan, direct, and coordinate activities in various scientific fields.
28. General and operations managers
Average annual salary: $151,920
Number of people employed in New York: 160,760
What they do, according to O*NET: Plan, direct, or coordinate the activities of public or private organizations.
- Walmart workers wish they could tell customers these 7 things
- 11 outrageous ideas that made people ridiculously rich
- Here is the lowest-paying job in every US state