- Vacation homes are often all about location.
- We teamed up with Zillow to find the most popular US cities for vacation homes.
- Cities in Florida, Nevada, and Arizona are the most popular for vacation homes.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
There are three main reasons why people consider buying a vacation home, according to Jean Chatzky, financial editor of NBC’s "Today" Show, in her latest book, " Women with Money:" They frequent a certain area, they’re planning to retire, or they want rental income.
These all have one underlying factor: location. Do you visit often? Does the place fit your lifestyle? Is it a popular area where tourists will want to rent?
So, we teamed up with Zillow to find the most popular US cities for vacation homes. To determine this, Zillow used 2017 US census data to see the share of homes classified as a second home in cities with a population over 65,000. The percentage of vacation homes refers to the amount of vacation homes out of all total homes in the city.
Florida cities are the most popular for vacation homes, as well as cities surrounding Las Vegas, Nevada, and Phoenix, Arizona. See the 25 most popular places for vacation homes below, ranked in descending order.
All population sizes are based on US Census Bureau data.
25. Henderson, Nevada, located to the southeast of Las Vegas, has a population of 320,390.
Khairil Azhar Junos/Shutterstock
Percentage of vacation homes: 5.45%
Number of vacation homes: 7,234
Number of total homes: 132,788
24. Portland, Maine, has a population of 66,417.
Percentage of vacation homes: 5.49%
Number of vacation homes: 1,923
Number of total homes: 35,010
23. Yuma, Arizona, borders Arizona and Mexico and is three hours west of Tucson. Yuma County has a population of 212,128.
Percentage of vacation homes: 5.76%
Number of vacation homes: 2,353
Number of total homes: 40,828
- 10 iconic work uniforms, from Steve Jobs’ black turtleneck to Richard Branson reportedly wearing the same pair of jeans every day
- Real-estate agents say there’s an easy step you can take to increase the value of your home — and it’s completely free
- 13 mind-blowing facts that show just how expensive San Francisco really is