- Netflix has rolled out some hit original movies recently like "Bird Box" and "Triple Frontier."
- Analytics company Jumpshot provided Business Insider a list of the most popular original streaming movies of the year so far, and Netflix dominates.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The Sandra Bullock-starring thriller "Bird Box" was released in December, but it’s still one of the biggest movie hits for Netflix this year.
Analytics company Jumpshot provided Business Insider a list of the most popular original streaming movies of the year so far, and Netflix dominates. Only one movie in the top 20 is from a Netflix competitor: Hulu’s Fyre Festival documentary, "Fyre Fraud." But Netflix’s own Fyre Festival documentary, "Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened," topped the entire list.
Netflix tends to brag about the performance of some of its mediocre movies, but they are also its most watched. "Bird Box" and the action movie "Triple Frontier" weren’t critical favorites, but they are the two most popular Netflix original movies of the year so far.
Two of the top five movies on the list received Rotten Tomatoes critic scores below 40%, but audiences love them.
Jumpshot created the list based on number of views each movie got in the first quarter of 2019 only on desktop devices, but the data can be used as a proxy of a movie’s relative popularity.
Below are the 20 most popular original streaming movies of 2019, so far:
20. "The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind"
Number of views: 490,060
Description: "Inspired by a science book, 13-year-old William Kamkwamba builds a wind turbine to save his Malawian village from famine."
Rotten Tomatoes critic score: 85%
What critics said: "It builds realism and context into both sides of that story and manages to be a winning adaptation as a result." — David Sims, The Atlantic
19. "The Breaker Upperers"
Number of viewers: 504,345
Description: "For the right price, BFFs Jen and Mel will ruthlessly end any romance. But when one of them grows a conscience, their friendship begins to unravel."
Rotten Tomatoes critic score: 90%
What critics said: "A marvelously kooky, occasionally laugh-out-loud funny buddy comedy." — Tomris Laffly, RogerEbert.com
18. "Godzilla the Planet Eater"
Number of viewers: 585,588
Description: "With the earth alliance weakened, Haruo weighs siding with the Exif, whose death cult is summoning a monster that can destroy the world. "
Rotten Tomatoes critic score: N/A
What critics said: "This is certainly the most complete of the three films, but it’s also encouraging to see how it helps makes the previous two movies in the trilogy feel richer." — Daniel Kurland, Den of Geek
- ‘Black Mirror’ season 5 is coming to Netflix this summer — here are all the details
- The 30 most popular shows from Netflix and other streaming services in 2019, so far
- The top 7 shows on Netflix and other streaming services this week