- These days, you can start a career right in the town where you went to college.
- According to a recent list compiled by Grand Canyon University, most of the best college towns for starting a career are east of the Mississippi River.
- The top towns included Notre Dame, Indiana; Kingston, Rhode Island; and Morehead, Kentucky.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
If you’ve just graduated from college, why leave town? You might be able to start your career in the same place you called home while studying.
A recent list compiled by Grand Canyon University ranked the best college towns to start a career in, using data from the US Census, Yelp, Indeed, and US Climate Data. They based their findings on several factors, including job markets, local culture (museums, restaurants, events), and city infrastructure.
The top city was Notre Dame, Indiana, which is home to (you guessed it) Notre Dame University. In fact, all but three college towns on the list were east of the Mississippi River: Vermillion, South Dakota; Wayne, Nebraska; and Stillwater, Oklahoma.
Here are the top 20 college towns to start a career in.
20. Fairfax, Virginia — Overall score: 35.65
Colleges near Fairfax: George Mason University, Ivy Christian College
Fairfax’s biggest employer is G4S Secure Solutions, a security services company.
19. Highland Heights, Kentucky — Overall score: 35.65
Wikimedia Commons/CC 2.0 Attribution
Colleges near Highland Heights: Northern Kentucky University
Electrical cable company General Cable (a Fortune 500 company) calls Highland Heights home.
18. Columbia, South Carolina — Overall score: 35.75
Colleges near Columbia: University of South Carolina
Columbia’s biggest employers are the Palmetto Health hospital system and Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina.
- Staggering photos show what daily life in the most crowded places in the world is really like
- 21 signs you’re a narcissist and don’t even know it
- The best and worst Easter eggs and hidden meanings in 20 company logos