- Liberal Democrats are the most popular party in Britain according to a shock new poll.
- The YouGov poll puts Vince Cable’s party on 24% ahead of the Brexit Party on 22%.
- Labour and the Conservatives are trailing on 19%.
- It suggests Britain is heading for another hung parliament with a minority Labour government.
- Visit Business Insider’s home page for more stories.
LONDON — An extraordinary new opinion poll has put the Liberal Democrats in first place, in the wake of major gains for the party in the European elections.
The YouGov poll puts Vince Cable’s party on 24% ahead of the Brexit Party on 22% and Labour and the Conservatives both trailing on 19%.
It is the first time the Lib Dems have led a national opinion poll in the UK since the height of "Cleggmania" in the run-up to the 2010 general election.
YouGov poll (changes with 17 May)
- Lib Dem: 24% (+6)
- Brexit Party: 22% (+4)
- Conservatives: 19% (-5)
- Labour: 19% (-5)
- Greens: 8% (+2)
If repeated at a general election, it would result in a hung parliament with no single party able to form a government.
Despite being in fourth place, Labour would be expected to win 202 seats with the Liberal Democrats on 119 seats and the Conservatives on 110, according to the Electoral Calculus website.
- Remain surge: Liberal Democrats and Greens make big gains in European elections
- Boris Johnson’s long list of gaffes, offensive comments and controversies
- What does Theresa May’s resignation mean for Brexit?