Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- Rent the Runway Unlimited makes it convenient and affordable to wear designer clothes without the commitment to a designer price tag.
- Unlimited members pay $159 a month ($99 for the first month) for access to a rotating selection of clothing that includes luxury labels like Diane Von Furstenberg, Vera Wang, Missoni, Saloni, and many others.
- It’s a fun Mother’s Day gift for moms who appreciate fashion, and a practical one for moms who have to dress up regularly for work.
- Find more of our Mother’s Day 2019 gift guides here — including ideas under $25, under $50, and under $100.
If your mom loves clothes, hates shopping, or fosters a yin-yang combination of the two, Rent the Runway (RTR) Unlimited may be one of the most thoughtful and convenient gifts you can give her for Mother’s Day.
Rent the Runway Unlimited is a subscription plan that lets members rent an unlimited amount of designer clothes on a rotating basis every month — including everything from handbags to work clothes to patterned sundresses to statement earrings. The service costs $159 per month, but is $99 for the first month.
Members can pick up to four items per rental, and can wear items and return them whenever they want to swap out for a new style, or just keep them all for the entire month. There’s no set return deadline with the membership, as long as you continue to pay by the month. She’ll be able to send back one, two, three, or all four pieces at a time rather than all at once. All orders have free shipping, the membership includes insurance for minor mishaps and general wear and tear, and RTR takes care of the dry cleaning.
To return an order, members will pop the clothes back into the garment bag they came in, swap in the prepaid return label, and drop the bag to any UPS store or their designated drop-boxes. Once Rent the Runway has received the returns, members are notified that they can make new selections — and they’re directed to a page full of options available for same-day delivery.
The selection is huge — for instance, 33 pages of daytime dresses available for delivery to me today alone in Manhattan. Members can narrow the options down by size, body type, occasion, color, etc., and they’ll also be able to see which options they’ve previously "hearted" that are now available for delivery.
Gifting her an RTR Unlimited subscription essentially amounts to giving her an entirely new wardrobe, the freedom to try new trends on a whim, and the leeway to ditch any clothes she owns and no longer loves.
- 17 Mother’s Day food gifts she’ll want to dig into immediately
- 50 thoughtful gifts to give your wife this Mother’s Day
- 54 perfect Mother’s Day gifts that are all under $50