- Dollar General, Aldi, TJ Maxx, Costco, and Walmart are among more than a dozen retailers that are planning to open new stores in 2019.
- Overall, retailers plan to open more than 2,000 new stores this year, according to a Business Insider analysis.
- This compares to the 5,300 stores that retailers are planning to close this year.
Amid these losses, some retailers are thriving and continue to pursue physical growth strategies, with at least one — Dollar General — planning to add nearly 1,000 stores this year.
Many of the retailers that are opening new stores in 2019 are discounters, including Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Aldi, and TJ Maxx.
Overall, retailers plan to collectively open more than 2,000 new stores this year, according to a Business Insider analysis based on company data.
Here’s the full list of companies opening stores.
Dollar General: 975 stores
Dollar General has more than 15,200 stores in 44 states, and it plans to open another 975 new stores in fiscal 2019. The company will also remodel 1,000 stores and relocate 100 stores.
Dollar Tree: 350 stores
Business Insider/Jessica Tyler
Dollar Tree plans to open 350 new Dollar Tree stores and convert 200 Family Dollar stores into Dollar Tree stores.
Family Dollar: 200 stores
Business Insider/Mary Hanbury
Dollar Tree plans to close about 390 Family Dollar stores and open 200 new locations.
- These stores have the best return policies in retail
- We visited a Charlotte Russe store the day after the company filed to liquidate, and it’s clear the retail apocalypse is in full swing
- More than 1,100 store closures were announced in a single day as fallout from the retail apocalypse picks up steam