zz/Dennis Van Tine/STAR MAX/IPx
- Jeff Bezos is reportedly apartment hunting in New York City, according to The New York Post.
- The Amazon CEO is looking to spend about $60 million on a home in the city, the Post reported.
- Bezos already owns four apartments in a historic building in the city.
- Here’s a look inside the ritzy Upper West Side building with views of Central Park.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
Jeff Bezos is on the hunt for a New York City apartment, The New York Post reported.
The news comes days after the world’s richest man finalized the terms of his divorce from MacKenzie Bezos.
The Amazon CEO is reportedly looking to spend about $60 million on a home in the city and has looked at units at 220 Central Park South, according to the Post. That’s the same Billionaires’ Row building where Ken Griffin, founder and CEO of hedge fund Citadel, bought a $238 penthouse in January, breaking the record for the most expensive home sale in the US.
But Bezos has already been a homeowner in New York City for years.
In 1999, he bought three condos in the Century building at 25 Central Park West in New York City’s Upper West Side for $7.65 million, according to the Observer. He made the purchase under an LLC called "Jetima" from former Sony Music head Tommy Mottola.
The world’s richest man bought an additional unit for $5.3 million in 2012, making him the owner of four condos in the historic building.
The 32-story Art Deco building was built in 1931 and boasts a concierge, elevator attendants, and three separate entrances, as well as a prime location right next to Central Park.
Here’s a look inside the building.
Jeff Bezos, the richest person in the world, is reportedly on the hunt for an apartment in New York City.
The New York Post reported that the Amazon CEO is looking to spend around $60 million for a home in the city.
Bezos looked at apartments at 220 Central Park South, an unfinished 79-story tower on Billionaires’ Row overlooking Central Park, according to the Post.
Katie Warren/Business Insider
Bezos wouldn’t be the only billionaire in the building if he buys at 220 Central Park South.
In January 2019, Ken Griffin, founder and CEO of hedge fund Citadel, bought a $238 penthouse in the tower, breaking the record for the most expensive home sale in the US.
Other high-profile buyers include singer Sting and his wife Trudie Styler, Arel Capital founding partner Richard Leibovitch, and billionaire Daniel Och, chairman of Och-Ziff Capital Management.
But Bezos has already owned properties in New York City for years.
Bezos owns four apartments at 25 Central Park West, a pre-war, luxury Art Deco condominium building right off Central Park.
- Jeff Bezos is reportedly looking to buy an NYC apartment. Here’s a look at the 6 massive properties his family already owns across the US, from a sprawling Seattle estate to a set of historic NYC condos
- I visited one of America’s richest zip codes, a neighborhood known for its country clubs and sprawling mansions, where the average income is $857,300. Here’s what it looks like.
- The 25 richest people in New York, ranked