Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider, Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- I’ve been carrying Everlane‘s number one best-selling bag, the Day Market Tote ($175), for almost two years.
- I’m not shy about packing the roomy, Italian leather bag to the brim with my belongings, but it handles all the weight with poise and style, and it’s as sturdy now as when I first got it.
- Naturally, the leather has weathered and softened (beautifully, if I might say), so if you want to see what it looks like after consistent use, I’ve included photos below.
- All in all, I’m impressed with how this versatile bag has held up. It really is the best tote bag that nails both style and functionality.
Rare is the day when I don’t leave my apartment with a concerning number of belongings in tow — a girl’s got places to go and people to see, after all, and I like to be prepared.
After nearly two years, Everlane’s Day Market Tote has proven it’s up to the challenging task of carrying my inordinate amount of stuff, with all the strength of a utilitarian duffel but all the grace and style of a designer bag at least twice its price.
The Day Market Tote is one of those magical bags that never looks out of place and brings out the best of whatever you’re wearing. If you’re in jeans and a T-shirt, it ties everything together in a neat, composed knot. If you’re heading into the office or dressed up for a night out, its polished leather construction settles comfortably into elevated settings.
All of the colors it’s available in, mostly warm tones like Cognac, Light Taupe, and Blush, are neutral and complement nearly every other color in your closet. I own the bag in Cognac and I never tire of the classic hue, which takes on different tones depending on the lighting (you can see examples of this below).
Its large size and surprising durability are the other features that have sold the bag for me.
If you’re the ultra-organized type and like to have a designated place for every single item, you might not like this bag because it only has one small side pocket in addition to the main compartment. But if you don’t mind just throwing your belongings in or getting a tote insert, you’ll love the Day Market’s Tote flexible roominess and strength to carry it all.
I put my keys, office ID, and MetroCard in the small side pocket and use a makeshift tote insert (this foldover clutch) for other small essentials like lipstick, a compact mirror, and sunglasses. Anything larger than that — my Kindle, laptop, wallet, and favorite giant water bottle, for example — go in the main compartment. They’re all able to stand upright since the bottom of the bag is flat.
Despite consistently carrying this weight and then some for almost two years, the tote has shown no sign of fatigue. It’s a testament to Everlane’s careful, quality manufacturing that the place where the handles meet the bag still looks good as new, even though this is surely where a lot of the tension goes when I jam-pack the bag with my stuff.
While smooth and a little stiff when I initially got the bag, the 100% Italian leather has since weathered and developed a softer, more lived-in look. The interior, which is unlined, has also gotten softer and nicer to touch. I prefer this slightly more casual and flexible version of the bag, which you can tell has actually been put through its paces but still manages to maintain its original versatile style.
Based on how the Day Market Tote has performed and held up over the last couple years, I’m confident it will continue its reign as my go-to tote bag for all the work days, dates, day outings, and other events that I have yet to experience.
- Everlane just dropped its first sneaker for $98 — it’s carbon neutral, unisex, and incredibly comfortable. Here’s what they’re like to wear
- Apple increased the price for its newest MacBook Air by $200 — but I still think it’s worth the money
- I discovered a new brand that makes owning delicate gold jewelry actually affordable