- School-ranking website Niche released a list of the best public high schools in America for the upcoming academic year, after rating thousands of schools across the country.
- The top spot went to Thomas Jefferson High School for Science & Technology in Alexandria, Virginia.
- Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy in Aurora, Illinois, which held the No. 1 spot in Niche’s ranking last year, has now fallen to No. 2.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
To make families’ lives easier, school-ranking website Niche has released its 2020 list of the best public high schools in America. The list was determined after rating thousands of schools in over 10,000 districts across the country. The rankings were based on academic factors like test scores and AP enrollment, racial and economic diversity, as well as reviews by student, alumni, and parents. Statistics were taken from the US Department of Education.
The No. 1 public high school in the country is Thomas Jefferson High School for Science & Technology in Alexandria, Virginia. Last year’s Niche ranking gave the No. 1 spot to Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy, in Aurora, Illinois, which has now fallen to No. 2.
Here are the 15 best public high schools in America.
15. Staten Island Technical High School — Staten Island, New York
Staten Island Technical High School/Facebook
Student-teacher ratio: 23:1
Average graduation rate: 99%
Average SAT: 1410
Average ACT: 32
AP enrollment: 95%
According to a student: "This is a great school — great teachers, great students, great environment. I think the resources at Tech were the primary reasons I was instantly able to transition to college and succeed at a high level at one of the most prestigious institutions in the country."
14. Adlai E. Stevenson High School — Lincolnshire, Illinois
Student-teacher ratio: 14:1
Average graduation rate: 97%
Average SAT: 1360
Average ACT: 30
AP enrollment: 50%
According to a student: "The teachers are all willing to help out, and the vast majority of my teachers at this school have been amazing and a pleasure to learn from. There’s a lot of assistance available for students as well, both academic and for opportunities outside of school, including jobs, internships, and college. The community of students is also great. I love my school and would highly recommend it to anyone."
13. Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science, & Technology — Lawrenceville, Georgia
Student-teacher ratio: 17:1
Average graduation rate: 95%
Average SAT: 1360
Average ACT: 31
AP enrollment: 68%
According to a student: "This is a great school, with well-qualified teachers. It offers a multitude of opportunities through its focus on STEM curriculum. There are several clubs to choose from that give great exposure to the students. Also, there are wonderful internship opportunities."
- Teachers reveal the 7 things they wish they could tell parents — but can’t
- The 25 US cities where workers spend the most time at their jobs, have the longest commutes, and use the least of their vacation days
- Here are the best public high schools in every US state