The Insider Picks team writes about stuff we think you’ll like. Business Insider has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase.
- Apple’s HomePod is on sale for $279.99 exlusively at Best Buy — that’s $70 off its original price tag.
- The smart speaker has an impressive audio system complete with seven tweeters, an amplifier, and a subwoofer, so Apple fans who want great sound quality will love it.
- HomePod also has Siri built in so you can make or receive phone calls, ask questions, or control HomeKit smart home devices with your voice.
Apple almost never discounts its tech, but its HomePod smart speaker is $70 cheaper at Best Buy for a limited time.
The HomePod is Apple’s answer to the rise of smart speakers like Amazon’s Echo and the Google Home. Apple’s HomePod is focused more on sound quality than Amazon’s Echo and the original Google Home. The HomePod has seven tweeters, a custom amplifier, and subwoofer to create excellent sound quality.
It also uses an audio technology called beam forming to adjust the way it plays music based on where it’s placed in a room. It’ll optimize its sound to ensure it sounds great whether you put it near a wall or in the center of a room.
Like its competition, the HomePod has a smart assistant inside so you can simply ask Siri to play music, make phone calls, control HomeKit smart home devices, or ask questions.
In addition to voice control, the HomePod works with Apple’s audio standard AirPlay 2, which connects to Apple devices over Wi-Fi for better range. It also lets you connect to multiple HomePods at the same time as a stereo pair or individual mono speakers.
The downside to AirPlay 2 is that the HomePod can only play music from Apple devices or iTunes on Windows. Even if you have Apple Music on an Android phone, it won’t work with the HomePod.
If you’ve been interested in getting a smart speaker and only use Apple devices at home, the HomePod is a great option at this price. It’s still a lot more expensive than the Echo or standard Google Home, but it sounds a whole lot better and will integrate with the devices you already use.
The other big differentiator here is Apple’s commitment to security and data privacy. According to Apple’s site, the HomePod has "multiple layers of security — including anonymous ID and encryption" to "protect your privacy." If you’ve shied away from buying an Echo or Google Home because you’re worried about privacy or security, the HomePod may be a better fit for you.
Although this isn’t a one-day deal, the HomePod doesn’t go on sale very often, so there’s a chance it will sell out, especially since it’s only discounted at one store. Although it’s not the HomePod’s cheapest price ever — $249.99 during the holidays — it’s still a solid discount, especially for this time of year.
- The best gaming monitors you can buy
- Nordstrom’s running a big sale this weekend — including up to 50% off clothes, home goods, and devices like the Google Home Hub
- This $115 outdoor security camera lets me keep an eye on my porch from anywhere in the world
Source: Business Insider