Patrick Semansky, File via AP, Evan Vucci/AP
- Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez hit back at President Donald Trump, saying the "corrupt" and "broken and crime infested" country he seemed to tell her to "go back" to early Sunday was the United States.
- Ocasio-Cortez agreed with Trump about the rampant corruption he mentioned, saying it resulted from his administration destroying "our border with inhumane camps."
- Trump had tweeted earlier in the day, telling four freshman Democratic representatives they "can’t leave fast enough" to "go back and help fix" the "places from which they came."
- Three of the four progressive Congresswomen that Trump appeared to be referencing were born in the US.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez hit back at a tweet from President Donald Trump, who said Sunday that the progressive Congresswomen dubbed the Squad should go back to the "corrupt" and "broken and crime infested" countries from which they came (three of them were actually born in the US).
The New York representative tweeted hours later saying, "Mr. President, the country I ‘come from,’ & the country we all swear to, is the United States."
She added, "But given how you’ve destroyed our border with inhumane camps, all at a benefit to you & the corps who profit off them, you are absolutely right about the corruption laid at your feet."
In his tweets, Trump suggested that four congresswomen, most likely referring to the "Squad" of freshman progressives, "originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all)," and should "go back and help fix" the "places from which they came."
"These places need your help badly, you can’t leave fast enough," Trump tweeted, adding, "I’m sure Nancy Pelosi would be very happy to quickly work out free travel arrangements!"
On Twitter, Rep. Omar said, "Mr. President, As Members of Congress, the only country we swear an oath to is the United States. Which is why we are fighting to protect it from the worst, most corrupt and inept president we have ever seen."
Massachusetts Rep. Ayanna Pressley also hit back at the president’s tweets, saying they were racist and the representatives weren’t "going anywhere…except back to DC."
"THIS is what racism looks like," Pressley wrote. "WE are what democracy looks like. And we’re not going anywhere. Except back to DC to fight for the families you marginalize and vilify everyday.
Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was also quick to join in on the clash, saying Trump’s tweet showed him reaffirming "his plan to "Make America Great Again" has always been about making America white again. Our diversity is our strength and our unity is our power."
- Trump goes on late-night Twitter rant hitting back at ‘failed’ Paul Ryan after scathing claims in new book
- Trump’s assistant Madeleine Westerhout was reportedly crying and ‘inconsolable’ on election night 2016 — but now says she’d do almost anything for Trump
- Former House Speaker Paul Ryan said he wanted to ‘scold’ Trump ‘all the time’ because Trump ‘didn’t know anything about government’