- The iconic Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris has caught fire.
- Politicians and public figures around the world are expressing their sympathies.
- US President Donald Trump, London mayor Sadiq Khan, and European Council president Donald Tusk have all weighed in.
Politicians and public figures around the world are expressing their sympathies amid a massive fire at the historic Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris.
On Monday evening, the 856-year-old house of worship caught fire, with the blaze quickly tearing through the iconic structure. The cause of the fire is not yet clear, but it has already caused devastating damage, with the spire of the cathedral collapsing.
French president Emmanuel Macron has cancelled a planned speech to the nation as a result of the fire, and tweeted: "Like all our compatriots, I am sad this evening to see this part of all of us burn," according to a translation from Reuters.
US president Donald Trump tweeted his reaction, and suggested an approach for tackling the blaze: "So horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!"
Trump later said that "it’s one of the great treasures of the world," according to CNN’s Abby Phillip. "It might be greater than almost any museum in the world."
First Lady Melania Trump tweeted: "My heart breaks for the people of Paris after seeing the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral. Praying for everyone’s safety."
Nicola Sturgeon, the First Minister of Scotland, wrote: This is truly devastating. What a cultural tragedy, not just for Paris and France, but for the world. #NotreDame."
And Donald Tusk, the president of the European Council, said "we are all with Paris today."
Sadiq Khan, the mayor of London, also expressed solidarity. "Heartbreaking scenes of Notre Dame cathedral in flames. London stands in sorrow with Paris today, and in friendship always," he wrote.
The cathedral had been in the middle of renovations at the time of the fire.
- Read more:
- The Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is on fire — and now the entire frame is burning
- Watch the moment the iconic spire on top of Notre-Dame cathedral collapsed
- Before the Notre Dame Cathedral caught fire, it was undergoing renovations
- Trump suggests sending ‘flying water tankers’ to put out the massive fire at the Notre-Dame Cathedral
- Trump suggests sending ‘flying water tankers’ to put out the massive fire at the Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris
- US mayors call Trump’s bluff on sending detained migrants to sanctuary cities
- A man attempted to set himself on fire outside of the White House