AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes, File
- Walmart is massive.
- The retail giant has got an impressive global reach and has been making inroads into the digital sphere.
- Here are a few facts that’ll help you picture the retailer’s size.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
But sometimes, it becomes difficult to picture just how massive the company has become since it was founded in 1962.
It’s one thing to say that Walmart is the biggest retailer out there, but what does that actually mean?
From the revenue it generates to the millions of people it employees, here are a few facts that capture Walmart’s enormous size:
This previous year, Walmart raked in $514.4 billion in total revenue. That’s more than the GDP of countries like Belgium, Thailand, and Israel.
Photolibrary / Getty Images Plus
And all that revenue has meant a major payoff for the company’s founding family. Forbes estimated that the Waltons were collectively worth over $155 billion as of March — that puts them just behind Amazon founder Jeff Bezos.
Walmart currently employs around 2.2 million associates across the globe. According to US Census data from 2017, more people work at Walmart than live in Phoenix, Arizona.
ROBYN BECK/AFP/Getty Images
- We compared the shopping experience at Victoria’s Secret and Aerie, and there were 4 obvious differences
- How Walmart keeps its prices so low
- Health officials are searching for the source of an E. coli outbreak that has sickened more than 70 people. Here’s what a food-poisoning expert always avoids.