Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider, Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- Once limited to their own sites, popular startup products like Casper mattresses and Dagne Dover bags are becoming available at major retailers you probably shop with regularly.
- Those retailers include Amazon, Target, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale’s, Madewell, Urban Outfitters, and West Elm. There’s clearly no shortage of traditional retailers willing to open their arms to innovative new startups.
- This integration makes it more convenient to include these products in your cart along with the rest of your order and enjoy the perks of each retailer, like shipping and return policies, and even loyalty points.
It was once believed that to be a successful direct-to-consumer (D2C) company, you could only sell from your one site, and that site alone. This exclusivity certainly adds to the buzz factor, making each purchase feel more special and intentional, plus this strategy lets startups have better control over their customer data.
The reality is that many shoppers still default to these major retailers, and if brands want to be where the customers are, it’s smart to take up shop on the virtual shelves of the Amazons and Targets of this world.
If you want to use your Prime benefits to quickly receive a brand new mattress, go for it on Amazon. To find top-quality luxury startup products at non-luxury prices, you’ll have great luck at Nordstrom and Bloomingdale’s. And Madewell, Urban Outfitters, and Target are all excellent places to discover quirky and giftable new brands.
You have more choice than ever when it comes to deciding where to buy startup products from. Depending on where you shop the most often, this increased availability will make online shopping a lot more convenient.
See all the major online retailers where you can shop 45 popular startups below.
In case you didn’t see Casper’s name around enough, you can now get Casper mattresses at Amazon and Target, along with sheets and pillows at all three retailers above. A good night’s rest relies on a number of factors, not only the mattress type, so don’t sleep (or do) on Casper’s sheets and duvet covers. You can even get a small bed for your best friend.
Matt & Nat
Matt & Nat/Instagram
Matt & Nat makes composed and structured bags that also happen to be vegan. In addition to vegan leather, it uses recycled nylon, cork, and rubber in its bags, and all of its bag linings have been made from 100% recycled bottles since 2007. The backpacks are unique enough in color and silhouette to distinguish yourself from the pack, yet still simple and timeless — a design philosophy that encourages sustainable, long-term use.
Shop Quip electric toothbrushes here: Target
These sleek, stylish, and lightweight electric toothbrushes from Quip are American Dental Association-approved. The soft-bristle brush isn’t too harsh on your gums, and it pulses every 30 seconds for two minutes to guide your toothbrushing routine. As it expands to Target and introduces kids brushes, Quip is quickly on it’s way to becoming the most recognizable startup toothbrush in the country.
- Allbirds now makes $95 women’s flats — here’s our verdict
- Spreetail is an underrated home goods and furniture site full of popular brands — and its outdoor selection is particularly good
- I have terrible cystic acne from polycystic ovary syndrome — here are the 6 skin-care products that helped treat my acne