- The world may have only a handful of designated wonders, but it’s full of architectural marvels that are worthy of anyone’s bucket list.
- Some of these must-see sites date back centuries, while others have been around for just a few years.
- We’ve rounded up the architectural masterpieces that everyone should see in their lifetime.
Buildings may be some of the most impressive works of art we have.
After untold sums of money are sunk into their construction, we can walk through the finished products and even live inside them. Older structures offer a window into the past, while newer buildings provide a sense of where we’re headed.
Here are some of the most ambitious projects from architects around the world, whose works span thousands of years.
The oldest building we know of, built around 9500 B.C., is Gobekli Tepe in present-day Turkey. Archaeologists aren’t certain of its function, but it was probably religious.
Teomancimit / Wikimedia Commons
Since then, humans have built some pretty rad structures. In the past year, we’ve seen futuristic openings like the Fulton Center in New York …
Spencer Platt / Getty
… and the Penleigh and Essendon Grammar School in Melbourne, Australia.
World Architecture Festival
- Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, and other influential billionaires are investing in these 6 companies to prevent a worst-case climate scenario
- Here’s why people believe they’ll win the $750 million Powerball jackpot — even when the odds are 1 in 292 million
- The 18 most terrifying bridges in the world feature steep slopes and stomach-churning heights — take a look