- Walgreens is one of the largest pharmacy chains in the United States.
- The retailer’s holding company, the Walgreens Boots Alliance, also operates thousands of stores around the world.
- To better picture the company’s scale, Business Insider spoke to a Walgreens spokesperson and reviewed the company’s most recent Securities and Exchange Commission filing.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Walgreens is one of the biggest players in the pharmaceutical field.
The Walgreens Boots Alliance, the official name of the chain’s holding company, operates thousands of stores. People around the world rely on these stores for their pharmaceutical needs, from prescription drugs to flu shots.
Read more: 9 mind-blowing facts about Walmart
A Walgreens spokesperson shared a statement with Business Insider regarding the the retailer’s sheer scale. We also picked out a few remarkable statistics from the company’s most recent Securities and Exchange Commission 10-K filing.
Here are a few facts that capture Walgreens’ immense size:
Walgreens was first founded in 1909, although it had a predecessor that launched eight years prior.
M. Spencer Green/AP Images
A spokesperson told Business Insider that Walgreens became "the first major chain to put prescriptions into child-resistant containers" in 1968.
Nick Ut/AP Images
The spokesperson added that the company has a number of other innovations under its belt, including the malted milkshake. This treat was concocted at a Walgreens counter in 1922, according to the spokesperson.
Larry Crowe/AP Images
- More than 7,800 stores are closing in 2019 as the retail apocalypse drags on — here’s the full list
- Here’s what you should buy at Aldi and what you should avoid, according to people who’ve shopped there
- Victoria’s Secret is taking steps to shed its much-criticized image. Here are 4 things that the brand has changed this year.
DON’T MISS: 7 mind-blowing facts about Target’s business