(Joe Burbank/Orlando Sentinel/TNS via Getty Images)
- Costco has attracted a cult following among shoppers since it first opened its doors in 1983.
- But the retailer didn’t build up that reputation overnight.
- Costco is a massive global operation, with locations, employees, and members all over the world.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Costco is commonly labeled as a retailer with a cult-like following.
But the company is far from a sleepeer hit with consumers.
Since launching in 1983, Costco has expanded to become a global powerhouse in the retail business.
The company’s 2018 10-K form filed with the SEC provides plenty of hard facts demonstrating Costco’s mind-boggling scale.
Here are a few mind-blowing facts about Costco:
As of September 2, 2018, Costco ran 762 warehouses around the world …
Paul Sakuma/AP Photo
… and boasted locations in 11 countries.
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
Costco assigns special significance to its US and Canadian operations, revealing that those two regions "comprised 87% and 83% of net sales and operating income in 2018."
- 13 international chains that should bring their mouthwatering fast food to the US
- This supersize Krispy Kreme is expected to be the busiest in the world — here’s what it looks like
- How Revolve used a massive network of influencers and celebrities to become a fashion giant