Presley Ann / Getty
- Tana Mongeau and Jake Paul, two controversial YouTube personalities, have been in a relationship that no one can tell for sure is real or not.
- At VidCon on Saturday, Paul came on stage in a surprise appearance during a question-and-answer session with Mongeau.
- Paul read a poem he wrote about Mongeau and announced the couple’s wedding date was set for July 28.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
YouTuber couple Tana Mongeau and Jake Paul are planning on getting married in a ceremony taking place July 28, the couple announced Saturday at VidCon.
Paul came out on stage Saturday in a surprise appearance when Mongeau was participating in a question-and-answer session. It was one of the last events scheduled for the three-day VidCon event in Anaheim, California, that celebrates online video creators.
Paul read a poem he had written that was full of sexual innuendos, including rhyming "Tana" with "banana." The poem ended with Paul announcing their wedding date was planned for July 28, and the announcement was met with screams and cheers from the audience.
But the sudden news of their engagement took social media by surprise, and many speculated that the entire relationship was faked. The two had reportedly only been dating for two months before then, and the relationship itself seems to have started in the first place as a joke for YouTube videos.
But during the Q-and-A session Saturday, Mongeau asserted that their relationship is real, especially because they’re both "f—ed in the head in the same ways."
"No matter what I do, someone is going to try to negate it," Mongeau said. "You’re crazy Jake Paul, but you’re crazy like me."
The last year for Mongeau has been eventful, to say the least. When VidCon was held last year, Mongeau wasn’t invited and instead hosted a separate fan convention called TanaCon right nearby to compete. However, the planned TanaCon was a complete disaster, and drew comparisons to the failed Fyre Festival in 2017.
Mongeau was also in an incredibly public relationship with Bella Thorne, but the two split in February after a year of dating. After Paul and Mongeau announced their engagement, Thorne posted a video of herself crying with the caption, "When ur ex gets engaged."
- A wedding photographer slammed guests who ruin photos with their phones: ‘Let me do my job’
- People say a vitamin company owned by YouTuber Tati Westbrook is ignoring customers who haven’t received their orders and want refunds
- ‘It’s our past experiences and fears that cloud even our best intentions’: The father who called 911 on a black man apologizes for his actions