- Luka Doncic came to the NBA as a 19-year-old wunderkind who dominated in Europe, and he hasn’t disappointed in his rookie year.
- Doncic has been a revelation on the court, delighting fans and teammates with his un-guardable step-back threes and penchant for clutch shots.
- Doncic has also become a fan-favorite for his goofy antics on and off the court.
- Doncic has drawn praise from some of the NBA’s biggest stars and figures to be a superstar in the league for a long time.
In a league full of promising young stars, few players shine as bright as Luka Doncic.
The 19-year-old Slovenian guard-forward came to the NBA as one of the top prospects in years and has not disappointed in his rookie year with the Dallas Mavericks.
Doncic went pro when he was a teenager, shining for Real Madrid in the Euroleague and playing for Slovenian national team. By the time he entered the NBA, he had won Euroleague MVP, Euroleague Final Four MVP, ACB MVP, Euroleague Rising Star, and Best Young Player. He also picked up a championship with Real Madrid and a Eurobasket title with Slovenia.
In half of a season in the NBA, Doncic has wowed the basketball world with his on-court flair, success in the clutch, and sparkling personality.
Here’s how Doncic became one of basketball’s biggest stars:
Luka Doncic’s rookie season has made him the frontrunner for Rookie of the Year. He’s averaging 20.8 points, 7 rebounds, and 5.5 assists per game for the Mavericks. He’s become the leader of the team on the floor and has wowed fans with his crafty moves and ability to come up big in the clutch.
Marcio Jose Sanchez/AP
Of course, if you followed Doncic’s rise to the NBA, this shouldn’t be surprising.
Luka Doncic was basically superior to every player from the time he stepped on a court. When he was just 8 years old, he dominated a kids league in Slovenia so throughly that coaches moved him up to the next age bracket after just 16 minutes.
Doncic was offered a multiyear contract by Real Madrid when he was just 13. He made the move from Slovenia to Spain by himself, without knowing any Spanish, to play with older players.
- Photos of what this year’s NBA All-Stars looked like when their careers started
- The NBA exploded ahead of another hectic trade deadline — here are all the deals that went down
- Dallas Mavericks trade Harrison Barnes mid-game, leading to an awkward finish on the bench
Source: Business Insider