FRANCK FIFE/AFP/Getty Images
- The United States Women’s National Team got off to another hot start at the Women’s World Cup on Friday.
- Megan Rapinoe scored off a free kick just 5 minutes into the match, giving the Americans an early 1-0 lead.
- On Twitter, fans quickly turned Rapinoe’s iconic goal celebration into a meme.
- Follow all of our Women’s World Cup coverage here.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
The United States Women’s National Team got off to another hot start at the Women’s World Cup on Friday, scoring the opening goal of their quarterfinal against France just 5 minutes into the match.
After forward Alex Morgan was taken down with a tough tackle just outside the box, the Americans were awarded a free kick, which Megan Rapinoe struck with confidence into the back of the net.
While the goal itself was beautiful, it was Rapinoe’s celebration that captured the attention of fans on Twitter.
In the second half, Rapinoe added another fabulous goal, giving the Americans a 2-0 lead.
Should the Americans hold on to win, they’ll continue their quest to repeat as World Cup champions in the semifinal against England on July 2.
- Read more from Tyler Lauletta:
- The captain of the US women’s soccer team said she’s ‘not going to the f—— White House’ if the team wins the World Cup
- USWNT captain Megan Rapinoe wants the quarterfinal against France to be a ‘s–tshow circus’ in what could be the most anticipated match in Women’s World Cup history
- United States Women’s National Team concedes first goal of Women’s World Cup to Spain on devastating howler