- Every week, Parrot Analytics provides Business Insider with the most in-demand original TV shows on streaming services.
- Netflix’s "Stranger Things" is blowing away all other shows, and DC Universe’s "Young Justice: Outsiders" returned to the list.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Every week, Parrot Analytics provides Business Insider with a list of the nine most in-demand TV shows on streaming services. The data is based on "demand expressions," Parrot Analytics’ globally standardized TV demand measurement unit. Audience demand reflects the desire, engagement, and viewership weighted by importance, so a stream or download is a higher expression of demand than a "like" or comment on social media, for instance.
"Stranger Things" has over 260,000,000 more expressions than the number two show on the list this week. DC Universe’s "Young Justice: Outsiders" returned to the list after the debut of the second half of its third season this month.
Below are this week’s nine most popular original shows on Netflix and other streaming services:
9. "Marvel’s Jessica Jones" (Netflix)
Average demand expressions: 21,331,571
Description: "Haunted by a traumatic past, Jessica Jones uses her gifts as a private eye to find her tormentor before he can harm anyone else in Hell’s Kitchen."
Rotten Tomatoes critic score (Season 3): 73%
What critics said: "The real kudos has to go to Carrie-Ann Moss as Jeri Hogarth, who may be having more fun with her role than any actor has ever had." — Daily Telegraph (Season 3)
Season 3 premiered on Netflix June 14.
8. "Orange Is the New Black" (Netflix)
Average demand expressions: 22,206,699
Description: "A privileged New Yorker ends up in a women’s prison when a past crime catches up with her in this Emmy-winning series from the creator of ‘Weeds’."
Rotten Tomatoes critic score (Season 6): 83%
What critics said: "It restores the sense of discovery that season one held, back when Piper learned the ways of prison life – only this time, it places almost all of the cast favourites in a newborn state … But it isn’t quite back to its best." — Guardian (Season 6)
The seventh and final season premieres on Netflix July 26.
7. "Young Justice: Outsiders" (DC Universe)
Average demand expressions: 25,412,967
Description: "DC’s teenage Super Heroes come of age in an animated world of super-powers, Super-Villains and super secrets as the team faces its greatest challenge yet as it takes on meta-human trafficking and the terrifying threat it creates for a society caught in the crossfire of a global and galaxy-wide genetic arms race.
Rotten Tomatoes critic score (Season 3): 94%
What critics said: "Fans of the series shouldn’t worry because Young Justice: Outsiders quickly builds off of the strong first half, beginning to unravel the mystery and put the Team on a collision course with the villains." — ComicBook (Season 3)
The second half of season three premiered on DC Universe July 2.
- The 20 best TV shows of 2019 so far, according to critics
- 6 actors who have made millions from Netflix movies, including a massive $250 million deal
- 20 Netflix original TV shows that are better than ‘Stranger Things,’ according to critics