- Where you attend college can influence how much money you earn.
- In its latest report, Wealth-X ranked the top 20 US colleges with the most ultra-high-net-worth alumni.
- Ivy Leagues, private universities, and California schools comprise much of the list.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Pick the right college, and you might just set yourself on the path to wealth.
Wealth-X ranked the top 20 US colleges with the most ultra-high-net-worth (UHNW) alumni in its new report, "The University of Ultra High Net Worth Alumni Rankings 2019." The report analyzed the Wealth-X database to look at the relationship between education and wealth levels across universities worldwide.
Wealth-X reported the actual number of UNHW individuals known to hold a degree from each institution and then calculated a projected estimate to predict the number of alumni with the total global UHNW population. Wealth-X defines ultra-high-net-worth individuals as those with assets exceeding $30 million and included both undergraduate and graduate alumni with degrees.
Six Ivy League universities made the top 20, while private universities dominated the list overall. California has the highest number of universities out of any state on the list, with four universities in the top 20.
Of course, earning potential doesn’t just boil down to where one attends college — it can also be related to major and the field or industry of work that leads to, among other factors. And it’s completely possible to build wealth no matter what college you attend — or if you don’t attend college at all.
See below for the top 20 universities in the US known for producing UHNW individuals, ranked by the number of total UHNW graduates.
20. Boston University is located in Boston, Massachusetts.
Estimated ultra-high-net-worth population: 1,640
Estimated combined wealth of all UHNW graduates: $277 million
19. University of Virginia is located in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Estimated ultra-high-net-worth population: 1,650
Estimated combined wealth of all UHNW graduates: $246 million
18. University of Miami is located in Coral Gables, Florida.
AP Photo/Chris O’Meara
Estimated ultra-high-net-worth population: 1,700
Estimated combined wealth of all UHNW graduates: $309 million
- The 20 best cities for millennials who want to buy a home, where housing is affordable and jobs are strong
- George Lucas is America’s wealthiest celebrity. From a California real-estate portfolio to making ‘hobby movies,’ see how the ‘Star Wars’ creator built and spends his $6.4 billion fortune.
- Step inside the tallest building in Singapore, where the country’s most expensive penthouse just sold for $54.2 million and a 39th-floor infinity pool looks out over the city