Mike Windle/Getty Images
- Netflix’s "The Haunting of Hill House" director will executive produce and direct a new TV series called "Midnight Mass" for the streaming giant.
- Netflix described the upcoming TV series like this: "An isolated island community experiences miraculous events — and frightening omens — after the arrival of a charismatic, mysterious young priest."
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Mike Flanagan, the director of Netflix’s hit anthology horror series, "The Haunting of Hill House," has found his next project for the streaming giant.
Flanagan and his producing partner, Trevor Macy, will executive produce a new, seven-episode sci-fi series called "Midnight Mass" as part of their multi-year TV deal with Netflix. Flanagan will also direct.
Netflix describes the series like this: "An isolated island community experiences miraculous events — and frightening omens — after the arrival of a charismatic, mysterious young priest."
Flanagan said on Twitter that the series is "very special to me." He also tweeted "good catch" to a fan who pointed out that "Midnight Mass" is the title of a book in his 2016 horror movie, "Hush."
"It shows up in another movie too," Flanagan added.
Flanagan is also returning for the second season of "The Haunting of Hill House," called "The Haunting of Bly Manor," to premiere in 2020. Beyond Netflix, Flanagan’s next movie is "Doctor Sleep," a sequel to Stephen King’s "The Shining" that arrives in theaters on November 8.
- Read more of Business Insider’s coverage of Netflix’s "The Haunting of Hill House":
- Netflix has renewed ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ for season 2 and revealed its new title
- Netflix’s ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ actor pointed out a disturbing clue about the fate of the show’s characters
- ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ director changed the show’s original ending because it would have been too cruel
- How ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ pulled off its best episode, which included ’18-page scenes without any cuts‘
- Stephen King loves ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ and called it ‘close to a work of genius’
- The 5 TV shows returning in July that everyone will be talking about
- The Obamas are making 7 new Netflix movies and TV shows — here are all the details, including the first release date
- 10 popular TV shows that could be in danger of leaving Netflix, including ‘The Office’