Stephen Brashear/Getty Images
- Ethiopian Airlines Flight ET302 crash shortly after taking off from Addis Ababa Bole International Airport on Sunday.
- The crashed killed all 157 passengers and crew on board the four-month-old plane.
- Aviation regulators in China, Indonesia, and Ethiopia grounded all of their Boeing 737 MAX aircraft.
- US airlines such as Southwest, American, and United have all told Business Insider that they stand by the safety and airworthiness of the Boeing jet.
- Here’s how to find out if you’re going to be flying on the 737 MAX.
On Sunday, Ethiopian Airlines Flight ET302 crash shortly after taking off from Addis Ababa Bole International Airport. The crashed killed all 157 passengers and crew on board the four-month-old plane.
It’s the second nearly brand new Boeing 737 MAX airliner in recently be involved in a fatal crash. In October, Lion Air Flight JT610 crashed in the Java Sea shortly after taking off from Jakarta, Indonesia, killing all 189 people on board.
On Sunday, aviation regulators in China, Indonesia, and Ethiopia grounded all of their 737 MAX aircraft. The aircraft’s major US operators, Southwest, American, and United have all told Business Insider that they stand by the safety and airworthiness of the jet.
However, if you’re in the market for a flight and want to know whether you’ll be flying on board a Boeing 737 MAX, here’s how to find out.
On Southwest, simply search for the flight on the airline’s website. There’s is a flight number at each listing. Click on that flight number and a box will pop up with the on-time and aircraft information.
Southwest AirlinesIf you’re booking on United’s website, click on the link labeled "details" and it will show you the aircraft type that is expected to operate the flight.
United AirlinesIt’s even easier on American Airlines. The carrier displays the aircraft type at each flight listing.
American AirlinesIf you’ve already booked your flight, there are also several ways to find out the aircraft type. Most airlines will send you a confirmation email with that information or make it available in their app.
Should the information not be readily available from the airline, there are third-party sources to which you can turn. One such source is SeatGuru.com by Tripadvisor. The site will ask you for the airline, flight number, and your date of travel. With that information it will not only give the type aircraft expected to operate the flight, it’ll also tell which are the good seats on the plane.
SeatGuru.comWith that said all of the information on the airline website and SeatGuru are based on the aircraft expected to operate the flight. There is always the possibility that extenuating circumstances, such as a mechanical issue, may necessitate a switch to another aircraft type.
- Some countries and airlines have grounded the Boeing 737 Max 8 after a 2nd crash involving the plane killed 157 people — here’s who’s taken action so far
- Another Boeing 737MAX has crashed leaving no survivors. This time it was flying with Ethiopian Airlines.
- American Airlines is banning many puppies and kittens from flying as emotional support animals — but some miniature horses are still fine