Johns Hopkins Medicine
- US News compiles a list of the top 20 hospitals in the country.
- The hospitals are ranked based on their performance in certain specialties and procedures.
- Top hospitals include the Mayo Clinic, Massachusetts General Hospital, and Duke University Hospital. You can see the full list below.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The US is home to more than 6,200 hospitals, which can make it difficult to figure out which ones deliver the best medical care and treatment.
Every year, US News compiles a list of the top hospitals in the country, making it easier for readers to find what best suits their needs.
US News provides lists of the best hospitals for specific conditions, as well as an ‘Honor Roll‘ that highlights great hospitals across specialties and procedures. Hospitals earn points if they are nationally ranked in 16 specialties, like cancer care, and "high performing" in the nine procedures and conditions, like heart bypass and lung cancer surgery. The more points earned, the higher the ranking on the honor roll list.
To make the list, the hospitals have performed at a high standard, improving the lives of many. Read on to see the top 20 hospitals in the US, according to US News.
20. Brigham and Women’s Hospital
Courtesy of Brigham and Women’s Hospital
Ranked as the second best hospital in Massachusetts, Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston is a teaching hospital affiliated with Harvard Medical School.
The hospital’s Cancer Center houses 12 specialized disease treatment centers and touts a system where patients can see an oncologist the day after receiving their cancer diagnosis. In 2011, Brigham and Women’s Hospital performed the first two full face transplants in the country.
19. Duke University Hospital
Courtesy of Duke Health.
Known originally as Duke Clinic when it opened in 1930, Duke University Hospital sought to establish an academic medical center in a region that had previously lacked one.
Today, Duke University Hospital in Durham, North Carolina, is the flagship of the Duke University Health System. The system sees more than 2 million patients outside the hospital per year and has more than 68,000 inpatient stays, according to US News. It is ranked as the top hospital in North Carolina.
18. Mount Sinai Hospital
Homieg340/Wikimedia Commons/Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike
Mount Sinai Hospital is located in New York City and affiliated with the Icahn School of Medicine. It’s part of a health system that has seven hospitals in the New York City area.
According to US News, it’s known for its Geriatric Services department, which contains the Division of Experimental Diabetes and Aging, as well as for its digestive diseases treatments. The cardiology department is also highly ranked by US News.
- We got a look at the pitch deck that buzzy AI startup Cardinal Analytx used to raise a $22 million round led by famed investor John Doerr
- 23 ‘facts’ you learned about healthy eating and nutrition as a kid that are no longer true
- From smallpox to rubella, here are 6 infectious diseases you can avoid thanks to vaccines