- Apple makes some of the most coveted tech gadgets on the market. They are also some of the most expensive.
- There are lots of ways to shave a bit off the top of your Apple purchase price, or at least get an extra thrown in.
- If you want deep discounts, your best option is to buy used or refurbished Apple products.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
When you buy a new Apple Watch, Mac computer, iPad, or iPhone, the delight of playing with your new device can be overshadowed by the hole it left in your bank account.
But there are lots of ways you can save a bit on the price of a new Apple product without giving up the delight of the latest tech innovations. If you’re willing to forgo some of the bells and whistles in exchange for a good deal, buying used is your best option for big savings.
Here are 9 of the best ways to save money on Apple products.
1. Buy certified refurbished products.
Buying certified refurbished products from Apple is the best way to get a discount on a current or almost-current generation Apple product.
Refurbished products have new cases and cables and have been thoroughly vetted by Apple. Certified refurbished products come with the same warranty as new Apple products and you can also buy Apple Care.
The selection of refurbished products changes often, so keep checking back if you don’t see the product or model you want. Refurbished products are discounted up to 15% off the price to buy the same product new.
2. Go back a generation.
Hollis Johnson/Business Insider
When Apple releases a new iPhone, it drops the price on the previous generation of iPhone. The same is often true of other Apple devices. If you can wait, you can expect a price drop. For example, Apple took $100 off the iPhone 8 after the iPhone XS came out.
3. Buy second-hand.
Dave Johnson/Business Insider
If you don’t need the latest and greatest, you can score the biggest savings on Apple products when you buy them used. When the tech-addicted masses flock to grab the latest iPhone, MacBook, or Apple Watch, you can snap up the previous generation for much less than you would pay for a new device.
How-To Geek noted that, although buying used will get you the best price, Apple devices retain more value that most used tech. But be sure to compare prices for older Apple models between new and used — if you can buy the same older model new from Apple for an extra $100, that might be a better choice.
- Don’t buy a new iPhone right now
- A new analyst report reveals the features we may see in the next iPhone, and it includes one unexpected capability we haven’t heard much about
- AirPods have become a millennial status symbol, and Apple’s earnings suggest they could be its next big thing after the iPhone