- The Fortnite World Cup took over Arthur Ashe Stadium in New York City from July 26 to July 28.
- "Fortnite" creator Epic Games offered more than $30 million in prizes to dozens of professional players, including a $3 million prize for the solo tournament at the World Cup.
- Beyond the competition, thousands of fans got a chance to participate in a variety of outdoor games and activities spread across the sold-out stadium over the weekend.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The Fortnite World Cup was an esports spectacle, transforming New York City’s Arthur Ashe Stadium into an outrageous festival modeled after the world’s most popular game.
Thousands of fans watched more than 200 players compete for $30 million in prize money provided by "Fortnite" creator Epic Games during the three-day event from July 26 to July 28. The weekend included a special performance by EDM artist Marshmello, a charity tournament featuring dozens of celebrities, and a wide array of outdoor games and activities for fans.
By the end of the weekend, the Fortnite World Cup turned eight professional players into millionaires and attracted tens of thousands of viewers on YouTube and Twitch. But attending the Fortnite World Cup in person was an amazing spectacle that will leave an impression on esports fans for years to come. Here’s what it was like to be there:
Thousands of ‘Fortnite’ fans packed into a sold-out Arthur Ashe Stadium for the Fortnite World Cup.
The stadium grounds were transformed into a massive fan festival with carnival games, interactive rides, and a game show for attendees.
Tons of costumed ‘Fortnite’ characters filled the festival, and fans were able to pose with their favorites.
Kevin Webb/Business Insider
- These 8 pro gamers became instant millionaires at the ‘Fortnite’ World Cup this past weekend, and the biggest winner is just 16 years old
- This 16-year-old gamer is $3 million richer after winning the Fortnite World Cup
- A teen who frustrated his mom gaming 8 hours a day became a millionaire in the Fortnite World Cup