- 35% of employees reported having called in sick to work when they felt totally fine. Some reasons for taking the day off, however, sound more realistic than others.
- These strange and outlandish excuses for calling in sick to work may get you the day off, but they’ll also raise a few eyebrows.
- Here are 19 funny and ridiculous excuses people have used to call in sick.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
"Hi, boss. I can’t come into work today. My grandmother poisoned me with ham."
While that may sound like a completely ridiculous excuse, an employee actually used it, according to a survey released by CareerBuilder.
The survey, which was conducted online in 2016, found that 35% of employees said they have called in sick when they were feeling well.
Here are 19 ridiculous excuses people have actually used to call in sick, according to past surveys from CareerBuilder.
Employee said the meal he cooked for a department potluck didn’t turn out well.
About 35% of workers surveyed by CareerBuilder said they have called in to work sick when they were actually feeling fine.
Employee said her cat was stuck inside the dashboard of her car.
When asked why they called in "sick," 28% said they "just didn’t feel like going in to work."
Employee said they were kicked by a llama and suffered a broken leg as a result.
Another 27% of those surveyed said took the day off to attend a doctor’s appointment.
- 25 smart answers to really tough job interview questions
- This $3.3 million office with hammocks, an astroturf bridge and a Viking hut was designed to keep employees creative
- 20 things you should never say to your coworkers
SEE ALSO: 23 signs nobody trusts you at work