- Congresswomen Ilhan Omar tweeted a video on Tuesday night reacting to President Donald Trump’s State of the Union address.
- Captioned "When I hear Individual 1 spout hate about immigrants," the video shows Omar dancing to "This is America," a song about racism in the US by Childish Gambino.
- "Individual 1" is how filings from special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation refers to the president.
- In the address Trump called for unity, and slammed what he called "ridiculous partisan investigations."
Rep. Ilhan Omar responded to President Donald Trump’s State of the Union address on Tuesday with a hat-tip to the Mueller probe and dancing to "This Is America."
The freshman congresswoman posted a video to her Twitter account titled "My message to Trump," in which she dances to Childish Gambino’s hit 2018 song, which decries the treatment of minorities in America.
In the video, she wore a blue headscarf, a red shirt, and a white jacket — the colors of the US flag. Many female Democrats wore white to the State of the Union address as a political statement on women’s rights.
The caption accompanying the video reads: "When I hear Individual 1 spout hate about immigrants."
"Individual 1" is how filings from special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation refer to Trump. The probe is investigating whether Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign colluded with Moscow.
In a follow-up tweet Omar, who escaped Somalia as a refugee, called the speech: "The most pedestrian speech we have ever heard. It didn’t sounds like a presidential speech. It also didn’t address any of the critical issues we have."
The speech "was a parade of American heroes, that he sort of used to manipulate the American people," she said.
(AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)
Trump used part of his State of the Union address to attack the Mueller probe, citing "ridiculous partisan investigations" as an obstacle to the "economic miracle" otherwise taking place in the US.
He called for unity between Democrats and Republican lawmakers to help break "decades of political stalemate."
"We can bridge old divisions, heal old wounds, build new coalitions, forge new solutions, and unlock the extraordinary promise of America’s future," Trump said, "the decision is ours to make."
Trump then brought his speech round to funding for his border wall, an issue which started the longest government shut down in US history. Trump did not mention the shutdown during the speech.
"Walls work and walls save lives," he said, "so let’s work together, compromise, and reach a deal that will truly make America safe."
- Trump leans into fear-based rhetoric on immigration in State of the Union as he pressures Democrats for wall funding
- Women in Congress are wearing white at Trump’s State of the Union in a message of ‘solidarity’
- Secretary of Energy Rick Perry is the designated survivor for this year’s State of the Union address
Source: Business Insider