Irene Jiang / Business Insider
- Popeyes locations are running out of chicken sandwiches due to high demand for the new menu item.
- The sandwich was an immediate hit, sparking a massive social-media debate over the best chicken sandwiches in fast food.
- Dozens of people are reporting on social media that as of Tuesday, their local Popeyes have run out of chicken sandwiches.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Popeyes is facing a chicken sandwich shortage following the rollout of its new menu item.
Last week, Popeyes added a chicken sandwich to the menu. It was an immediate hit, winning over Business Insider’s fast-food critic Irene Jiang. Fans were quick to crown it the king of chicken sandwiches.
The debate over the Popeyes’ chicken sandwich reached a boiling point this week, as Popeyes feuded with chicken sandwich rivals Chick-fil-A and Wendy’s on Twitter.
The debate seems to be driving sales. And Popeyes is struggling to keep up with demand.
Dozens of people are complaining on social media about their local Popeyes being sold out of chicken sandwiches.
Business Insider visited two Popeyes locations in Manhattan early Tuesday afternoon. Both were sold out of chicken sandwiches.
Popeyes didn’t immediately provide comment to Business Insider on the sold-out sandwiches.
Irene Jiang contributed reporting for this piece.
- Shake Shack, Church’s Chicken, and Wendy’s join the battle between Popeyes and Chick-fil-A over the superior chicken sandwich
- Popeyes and Chick-fil-A are feuding on Twitter in a battle over which chicken sandwich reigns supreme
- Popeyes’ new chicken sandwich convinced us that we never need to go back to Chick-fil-A