- King crab, Wagyu beef medallions, and foie gras were on the menu for President Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un when they dined together on Wednesday night.
- The five-course menu was inspired by traditional Vietnamese cuisine, and was served at Hanoi’s Metropole Hotel at 7:00 p.m. local time (7:00 a.m. ET.)
- Before the leaders sat down to eat, Trump Kim met one-on-one for 20 minutes.
- Scroll down to see the full menu.
King crab, Wagyu beef, and lotus seeds were on the menu at a leaders dinner between Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un in Vietnam on Wednesday evening.
The leaders sat down to eat at 7:00 p.m. local (7:AM ET) after a 20 minute one-on-one meeting at the Metropole Hotel in Hanoi.
Here’s what the chefs had in store for Trump and Kim.
Fresh shredded green mango salad with scallops, mint leaves, and cashew nuts, served in a sweet vinaigrette dressing.
Deep fried Hanoi style spring rolls with shrimp pork vermicelli, and vegetables, served with a side of sweet and sour fish sauce, and red chilies.
King Crab meat and spinach in a light seafood-based broth.
Grilled cod fish "cha ca" [Vietnamese fishcake.]
Roasted Wagyu beef medallions with foie gras, and a semi-sweet fermented black rice sauce.
Sauted "su su" vegetables with garlic [chayote stems and leaves.]
Steamed sticky glutinous rice with shrimp, wrapped in a lotus leaf.
A traditional Vietnamese dessert consisting of lotus seeds, longans, and white wood-ear mushrooms, served warm and in a light sugary soup.
Joining Trump at the dinner was US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney, and interpreter Dr. Yun-hyang Lee.
Joining Kim at dinner was Central Committee of the Worker’s Party of North Korea vice chairman Kim Yong Chol, Minister for Foreign Affairs Ri Yong Ho, and interpreter Sin Hye Yong.
Wall Street Journal reporter Jonathan Cheng tweeted this image of the occasion:
White House and North Korean officials had been stuck in a last minute back-and-forth over the menu, with the US delegation reportedly especially keen to keep the menu "super simple," according to CNN.
The president is well known for his love of fast food, burgers, pizza, and steak.
- Michael Cohen is doing his best to deprive Trump of any glory at his summit with Kim Jong Un
- Luxury hotels, a private dinner, and a possible trip to an Instagram beauty spot: Here’s how Trump’s 2nd summit with Kim Jong Un is scheduled to go down
- A hapless aide to Kim Jong Un appeared to botch his red-carpet entrance in Vietnam