- Michael Jordan won the 1988 NBA Slam Dunk Contest in what is widely considered the greatest dunk duel of all time.
- The event was great, but there was also controversy as many felt ‘Nique was robbed with a low score on his final dunk.
- Jordan won the contest with a 50 on his final dunk as he flew through the air from the free-throw line.
It has been over 30 years since the 1988 NBA Slam Dunk Contest and many still consider it the best dunk duel of all time when Michael Jordan defeated Dominique Wilkins with a 50 on his final dunk from the free throw line.
The contest was spectacular, but it was also controversial as many people felt Wilkins was robbed by the pressure of Jordan’s hometown crowd.
Below is a look back at every dunk by ‘Nique and MJ.
The competition started with seven players and each got two dunks in the first round. Jordan scored a 47 out of 50 for this.
Wilkins scored a 49 for this.
Jordan closed out the opening round with a 47.
- Shaquille O’Neal explained why his father’s advice about staying ‘broke’ changed his life
- The 26 most mesmerizing photos from NBA Slam Dunk contests
- Why the NBA world is enthralled with Luka Doncic, the Mavericks’ 19-year-old Slovenian rookie who is already dominating the NBA