- You Need a Budget, or YNAB, is a popular personal finance app.
- YNAB costs $83.99 a year to use, but I tried it out on a one-month free trial.
- The app made budgeting easy to understand and it made me want to take a more active role in my finances.
Technology is making it increasingly easier to get a handle on personal finances.
The You Need a Budget app, or YNAB for short, is one of the most popular personal finance apps out there. Based on a budgeting system that founder Jesse Mecham used to gain control over his finances with his wife, YNAB stresses accountability and flexibility, and encourages users to be more active in their financial planning.
YNAB costs $83.99 a year to use, but the app offers a 34-day free trial for anyone who wants to test it out.
I decided to try out the YNAB app for a week to see if its system could help me get excited about budgeting.
Here’s how my experience on YNAB went.
I signed up for a 34-day free trial of the app, although YNAB usually costs $83.99 a year to use.
While $83.99 seems like a steep price to pay for an app that is supposed to help you save more money, the app claims most people save an average of $200 while using the app during their free trial.
After confirming the start of my free trial, the first thing that the app asked me to do was pick whether I wanted my YNAB account linked or unlinked.
Linking your account allows your purchases to automatically filter into the app interface; not linking your account forces you to input every single one of your purchases manually into the app. For ease, I decided to link my checking account and two credit cards.
- The weed-killing chemical involved in a Monsanto lawsuit was found in Cheerios and Quaker Oats products. Here’s how worried you should be.
- Wow Air, the budget airline that offered $69 flights from the US to Europe, has just collapsed. Here’s what it was like to fly on it.
- Share your opinion — become a BI Insider!