- Online clothing-rental services like Rent the Runway are becoming more popular as shoppers realize the benefits of a rotating wardrobe. However, many unlimited services cost more than $100 a month.
- I tried Haverdash, a new clothing-rental subscription service that only costs $59 a month and lets women rent three items at a time, as many times as they’d like during the month.
- The online shopping platform was clear and easy to use, and I was able to make my summer wardrobe more fun and interesting.
- Though not every piece worked out and I would like to see a larger selection of clothing options, I still loved my experience because it made experimenting with my personal style more affordable and convenient.
Companies like Rent the Runway, founded in 2009, and Le Tote, founded 2012, proved to be ahead of the curve at the time of their founding. Armoire joined the fray in 2016, and in 2019, the most affordable clothing rental subscription service launched: Haverdash.
Haverdash offers women unlimited fashion rentals (three pieces at a time) for a flat fee of $59 a month.
It’s part of CaaStle, a "clothing as a service" company that also works with traditional retailers such as American Eagle that are launching their own rental services. CaaStle was created by Christine Hunsicker, the founder of another clothing rental service, Gwynnie Bee.
While more established services like Rent the Runway cost more than $100 a month for unlimited clothing rentals — and granted, do offer a huge repository of designer styles to choose from, among other benefits — Haverdash allows shoppers to dip their toes in the world of online clothing rental and see how they like it, without having to spend a lot of money. Haverdash accomplishes this in part by offering clothing of a somewhat more accessible retail value, rather than expensive designer pieces.
Here’s how Haverdash works
Once you make an account, you can jump right into browsing Haverdash’s clothing selection. Since Haverdash just launched in May 2019, the options are still a little limited compared to those of other services, but you’ll be able to shop tops, skirts, pants, and dresses from brands such as Vince Camuto, J.O.A., Adrianna Papell, and Calvin Klein.
Add the items you want to try to your virtual Closet, which must contain at least eight items in order for your next box to ship. To ensure you have the smoothest experience, Haverdash suggests maintaining at least 20 items to your Closet, which does not have an item limit.
Depending on availability, Haverdash picks three of these pieces to send to you. If you would really love a certain item in your next shipment, you can mark it as a "Priority," and you’ll likely receive it. However, it still ultimately depends on availability and is not guaranteed.
Once you receive your box, you can wear your items as many times as you’d like before sending them back in the pre-paid return bag. You don’t have to wash or dry-clean them. Haverdash takes care of that for you.
Why you should try clothing rental through Haverdash
I loved using Haverdash to incorporate more summer dresses and jumpsuits into my wardrobe. I have plenty of the basics, but what I really wanted was something fun and different for things like picnics, day outings, and dates. Not having to commit meant I was more willing to take risks and try items I wouldn’t ordinarily wear.
And even if they didn’t work out, at least I could still wear them out in the real world (instead of trying to hide the tag of a dress I’m considering buying) and return them without worrying about maintenance or clean-up.
I thought Haverdash’s assortment of dresses and jumpsuits was the best of all its clothing options, so that turned out well for my mission of improving my summer wardrobe. Many of the styles and brands caught my eye and that made me excited for each box I received through the service.
If you love a piece, you can purchase it at a discounted price. I really liked a lightweight, split-leg jumpsuit (pictured above on the right) and could see myself wearing it often this season. After thinking on it, I bought it for $45.
Again, not everything I tried from Haverdash was a hit, but because of the low cost and unlimited nature of the service, I didn’t mind at all, knowing that future boxes could be better. In your account, you can alert Haverdash when you’re about to return your current box. It’ll start preparing your next shipment so you’ll always have something new to wear.
For its $59/month price, Haverdash is an excellent intro to the benefits of online clothing rental. It gives you stylish clothing options, a convenient and easy-to-use online platform, and, as General Manager Jessica Kahan Dvorett emphasizes, "permission not to wear the same thing twice."
- Amazon is offering 4 months of access to its music-streaming service for $1 — here’s how to take advantage of the early Prime Day deal
- This $75 kombucha brewing kit will pay for itself after you make a few batches — I’ve already saved a ton of money by making my own
- AmazonFresh vs. Prime Pantry — here’s the difference between Amazon’s grocery delivery services