MANDEL NGAN/AFP/Getty Images
- There are many elected officials with large fortunes independent of the salaries they earn while serving in Congress.
- Members of Congress earn a salary of $174,000.
- Here are the richest members currently serving in the House and Senate, based on their reported net worth.
Members of Congress earn a salary of $174,000, which is well over twice the national average household income. But many representatives and senators are independently wealthy from previous careers or significant gains they have made outside of their legislative work.
Here are the 15 richest members currently serving in the House and Senate and where the wealth comes from, according to a 2018 analysis by Roll Call.
15. Francis Rooney — $22.6 million
Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call
Republican Rep. Francis Rooney of Texas has earned a large fortune from his business, Manhattan Construction Group, which has built massive projects such as Cowboys Stadium.
14. Ro Khanna — $27 million
Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images for MoveOn.org
Rep. Ro Khanna of California’s wealth comes via his wife, Ritu, who is worth millions from her father’s investment firm, Mura Holdings. Khanna’s father-in-law, Monte Ahuja, is also founder and CEO of the automotive transmission giant Transtar, another contributor to Rep. Khanna’s substantial net worth.
13. Roger Williams — $27.7 million
Tom Williams/CQ Roll Call
Republican Rep. Roger Williams of Texas owns and operates auto dealerships all across the Lone Star State — selling Dodge, Chrysler, and Jeep cars and trucks.
- What 19 famous US politicians looked like early in their careers
- Here are the details you might miss watching Trump’s State of the Union address on TV
- THE RUSSIA RUNDOWN: Stone’s indictment, Whitaker hints at the Mueller probe’s timeline, and Cohen prepares to face Congress
Source: Business Insider