MoMo Productions/Getty Images
- The older we get, the more expensive and difficult it can be to manage our health.
- From home care to assisted living, to nursing homes, there’s a number of ways to get extra support to keep elderly people’s health in control, with varying prices.
- A private nursing home room, for instance, can cost as little as $5,293 a month or as high as $27,573 depending on which state you live in.
- Here’s how much a nursing home room costs in each of the 50 states.
As we grow older and our health isn’t what it used to be, the time might come for a conversation about whether getting extra help.
From home care to assisted living, to nursing homes, there’s a number of ways to get extra support to keep elderly people’s health in control, with varying prices.
For instance, the cost of a private room in a nursing home can vary wildly by state, from as low as $5,293 a month in Oklahoma to as high as $27,573 a month in Alaska.
Here’s a look at the median monthly cost of a private nursing home room in every state, according to survey data collected by Genworth, an insurance company that provides long-term care insurance.
Keep reading to see the 10 most expensive states.
10. Delaware, $10,950 per month
Associated Press/Brennan Linsley
Delaware is among the most expensive states, at $10,950 per month. According to US Census data, the state had about 174,128 residents 65 and older in 2017.
9. New Hampshire, $11,102 per month
Carsten Koall / Getty Images
New Hampshire has about 236,157 residents 65 and older. For those who choose to receive nursing home care, the cost is about $11,102 per month.
8. North Dakota, $11,690 per month
North Dakota is another state with more expensive costs associated with nursing home care. The state has 113,208 residents 65 and older.
- Regulators are gearing up to decide how to handle the $1 billion CBD industry, whose lotions and cookies currently exist in a legal haze
- A kidney doctor reveals the biggest mistake most dieters make. Fixing it is easy.
- Scientists just made marijuana compounds in a lab for the first time, and it could open the door to new treatments for devastating diseases