- The global sneaker resale market could grow to be worth around $6 billion by 2025, according to a recent estimate from Cowen & Co.
- Online fashion retailer Farfetch collaborated with resale platform Stadium Goods to compile a list of the 10 most valuable sneakers on the global resale market.
- At $30,000, the Louis Vuitton Kanye West x Louis Vuitton sneakers are the most valuable pair of sneakers in the resale world.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The sneaker boom is here to stay, and the proof is in the numbers.
The resale market for sneakers is soaring. Analysts at Cowen & Co. recently estimated that it could be worth $6 billion globally by 2025. At the same time, sneaker resale marketplaces like Stadium Goods and StockX are becoming important tools for sneaker distribution. Some sneakers on the platforms are going for over $20,000.
One collector, investor Miles Nadal, recently spent over $1.2 million on 100 pairs of the world’s rarest sneakers in a Sotheby’s auction with Stadium Goods. He spent $437,500 on one pair of rare Nikes alone. When asked why he spent so much on the shoes, he said in an interview with Business Insider that he sees his sneakers as "’wearable’ or ‘walkable’ art."
Online fashion retailer Farfetch consulted with Stadium Goods to compile a list of the most valuable sneakers on the resale market. The list includes all sneakers that were in mint condition and released to the public.
From a $30,000 pair of Kanye West Louis Vuittons to the Nike Air Mags worn by Marty McFly in the 1989 film "Back To the Future Part II," here are the 10 most valuable sneakers on the resale market:
10. Air Jordan 5 Retro T23 Tokyo — $5,250
This Air Jordan 5 was based on the iconic Air Jordan V model from 1990. This Retro model was released in Japan in 2011 and features a Japanese character on the heel.
9. Nike Lunar Flyknit HTM Milano — $5,850
These sneakers were an addition to the HTM line and were exclusively released in 2012 in Milan and London. The sneakers feature technology from Flyknit and Lunarlon.
6 (tie). Off-White x Air Jordan 1 Chicago — $6,000
This off-white and red Air Jordan 1 is a part of The Ten, the Nike x Off-White collection. A tribute to the classics, this revamped model features an iconic Chicago colorway and additional details like a red zip tie.
- These were the most iconic sneakers the year you were born, according to sneaker historians
- Here are the most expensive Air Jordans to sell on StockX and Stadium Goods, where rare pairs have gone for as much as $20,000
- Photos show the rise and fall of Nike’s iconic Air Jordan sneakers — and how the shoes are making a comeback 15 years after Michael Jordan’s retirement