- Google introduced new rules on Wednesday banning apps from the Play Store that allow users to order marijuana.
- The updated rules are a blow to popular apps Weedmaps and Eaze, which have one million and 50,000 downloads respectively.
- Google said the apps won’t be automatically banned, but would have to remove the shopping cart functionality.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Google updated its Play Store guidelines on Wednesday to prohibit apps which facilitate the sale and delivery of marijuana.
- Allowing users to order marijuana through an in-app shopping cart feature.
- Assisting users in arranging the delivery or pick up of marijuana.
- Facilitating the sale of products containing THC.
The new rules aren’t one-of-a-kind — Google also prohibits the sale of tobacco. However, they’re likely to hit the two most-popular weed delivery apps, Weedmaps and Eaze. Weedmaps has more than a million downloads on the Play Store, while Eaze has some 50,000.
Google said that rather than shutting down the apps altogether, Eaze and Weedmaps will have to remove their shopping basket function.
"These apps simply need to move the shopping cart flow outside of the app itself to be compliant with this new policy," a Google spokesperson told Android Police.
"We’ve been in contact with many of the developers and are working with them to answer any technical questions and help them implement the changes without customer disruption."
An Eaze spokesperson told Engadget: "Google’s decision is a disappointing development that only helps the illegal market thrive, but we are confident that Google, Apple and Facebook will eventually do the right thing and allow legal cannabis companies to do business on their platforms. We regret any inconvenience this may cause for customers and patients."
Google was not immediately available for comment when contacted by Business Insider.
- Samsung could emerge as the big winner from Huawei’s miserable week
- Google just made it super easy to order food from DoorDash, Postmates, and other delivery services without using their apps, here’s how to do it
- Memorial Day is one of the biggest travel weekends of the year. Here are a few tips to help you plan your drive and beat the rush.