Patrick McMullan via Getty Images
- British socialite Ghislaine Maxwell is reported to have been in the inner circle of late financier Jeffrey Epstein, who died in jail on August 10 awaiting trial on charges of sex trafficking and conspiracy.
- According to alleged victims, Maxwell acted as Epstein’s madam; she’s accused of recruiting victims and abusing them alongside the convicted sex offender.
- The 57-year-old daughter of late media mogul Robert Maxwell moved to New York City from England in 1991, reportedly living off a $100,000-a-year trust fund.
- Maxwell integrated herself into the city’s high society, attending parties, charity galas, and other events with celebrities, presidents, CEOs, and other members of the city’s wealthy and powerful elite.
- For seven years, she ran an ocean conservation nonprofit, which abruptly shut down in July 2019.
- Until 2016, Maxwell lived in a 7,000-square-foot Manhattan townhouse with links to Epstein, which was sold in 2016 for $15 million.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
British socialite Ghislaine Maxwell has become one of the most prominent and mysterious figures linked to late financier Jeffrey Epstein, who died by apparent suicide on August 10 while awaiting trial on sex trafficking and conspiracy charges.
According to alleged victims, Maxwell acted as Epstein’s madam, recruiting and abusing underage victims alongside the convicted sex offender. Maxwell has denied these allegations.
Maxwell’s legal team is out of the country and unavailable for comment, according to the law office. The firm did not respond to a request for comment from Business Insider.
Born in France, Maxwell is the daughter of British media mogul Robert Maxwell, who mysteriously drowned after falling or jumping from his yacht near the Canary Islands in 1991.
Here’s what we know about how Maxwell’s finances.
British socialite Ghislaine Maxwell has become one of the most prominent and mysterious figures linked to late financier Jeffrey Epstein, who died by apparent suicide in a Manhattan jail on August 10.
Marc Dimov/Patrick McMullan via Getty Images
Born in France, Maxwell is the daughter of British media mogul Robert Maxwell.
In England, Maxwell was an Oxford-educated socialite.
Bob Thomas Sports Photography via Getty Images
- Ghislaine Maxwell, Jeffrey Epstein’s alleged madam, donated money to a charity for sex trafficking victims in 2008
- Elon Musk was photographed next to Jeffrey Epstein’s alleged madam Ghislaine Maxwell at an Oscars after-party in 2014
- I spent 3 days in Jackson, Wyoming — the most unequal place in America, where the 1% makes more than $16 million a year. The experience was nothing like I expected.